Your First Girl-Guy Party


You’ve been invited to your first girl-guy party. Everyone is talking, and you have lots of questions.

Q: I don’t have a girlfriend like some of the other guys. Should I just stay home?
A: You don’t need a girlfriend to go to a party - or a dance for that matter. In fact, both are great places to meet up with girls, get to know them, and have fun doing it. Go for it!

Q: I don’t know how to dance. I don’t want everyone staring at me.
A: Honestly, most guys don’t know how to dance very well. You’re probably better than you think, so try not to be too self-conscious. If you feel totally clueless on the dance floor, just watch other people and imitate them. Relax and have a good time.

Q: What if my old girlfriend from school is there with her new boyfriend?
A: There’s certainly no need to hide out. If you run into them, be nice and say hello. Remember you’re there to meet new people, though, so it’s best to move on and meet some new people - unless you really want to hang out and talk with them.

Q: My parents won’t let me go. What should I do?
A: Ask your parents to call the parents of the person having the party. There’s a chance that if they know more about the party and what sort of adult supervision there will be, they might change their minds and let you go.

Q: Everyone's wearing a tie, do I have to do the same?
A: As a general rule, it's best to dress like everyone else. For example, you probably don't want to wear cutoffs and a t-shirt when the other guys are wearing coats and ties. If you want to draw attention to yourself, that's not the way to do it. Just ask around if you're not sure what to wear.

And lastly, some guys don't have a formal suit and tie until they get a little older. If you find yourself in that situation, just wear your nicest shirt and pants. You won't be the only one there without a tie. The idea is to have fun. Go and enjoy yourself!