- Decide on your exercise goals. What do you want to achieve? For example, if you want to improve your endurance, emphasize aerobic exercises. If you want to tone your body, emphasize resistance exercises. Make your goals reasonable and realistic.
- Develop an exercise plan based on your goals. Be sure your plan includes warm-up and stretching (flexibility), aerobic (endurance), and resistance (strength) exercises. To excel in any one requires work in all three.
- Set up a regular exercise schedule and stick to it. You are more likely to continue exercising when you have a schedule to follow.
- Begin slowly and progress little by little. If you’re just starting a program, start with easy exercises. Gradually work up to more advanced exercises.
- Keep track of your progress by writing it down.
- Get a friend to exercise with you.
- Consider working with a coach or trainer to motivate you and provide instruction.
- Try to exercise three to four days a week for about 30 to 45 minutes each time. It’s important to allow your body time to recover between workouts. Don’t overdo it.
+The Boy's Fitness Guide